Tabs

Montreal 2012

I spent this past long weekend in La Belle Province to take in the Osheaga music festival. I had been looking forward to this trip for months & for it to actually live up to the hype would've been somewhat of a miracle. Did it? Well, there's a story behind that.
Me & a team of three left home on Friday morning to check in at our hotel at 3pm. As the festival started at 1pm, we were set to miss a few acts but we knew we'd survive. It would've been cool to see fun., Of Monsters & Men & complete my epic Down With Webster trilogy. We did arrive in time to see enough of the acts on Day 1 to make even the most staunch music lover shake their head in disbelieve. Oh yeah, I said staunch. Deal with it. After the concert(s), we walked around downtown for a bit & ended up in Le Village. You can take the kid away from Church Street, but I guess you can't take Church Street away from the kid.
On Day 2 our team split up. I only had a ticket to the first day of the 3-day festival so I got a chance to explore Montreal. As a kid from Toronto, I wanted to see the similarities between these two rival cities. Believe me there were plenty. I found the fake Yonge Street, fake Eaton Centre & fake Dundas Square. With that said though, each felt different from their T.O. equivalents. Not just because there was more French than I could possibly understand; maybe it was because I was a first-time tourist out there. Or maybe it was because their subway easier to deal with, graffiti isn't outlawed & there were less homeless people on the sidewalk. Who knows.
Day 3 was nice because it was the first day where I wasn't sweating buckets through my shirt. However that was mainly because it was pouring rain & apparently the city was under a tornado watch. I did some shopping downtown & pretty much just stayed in our hotel room until the rain let up enough for me to get back out & explore. I probably should've skipped exploring entirely that night because I ended up getting totally lost. Apparently I didn't walk that far but there were a few times where I thought that a compass wouldn't be a bad investment in the future.
Day 4 wasn't supposed to involve anything except packing up & leaving Montreal. Plans changed though. Monday might have been the best part of the trip. Why? Just know that I spilled hot chocolate on my clothes & I got an autograph. I'm totally not smiling as I write this. No I'm not. You can't prove anything! Ugh. Be quiet.
The whole trip was awesome. Driving all those hours was a mission but I didn't accidentally turn right on any red lights. It was an adventure that was worth the months of anticipation. Osheaga 2013 might have to happen.

1 comment:

  1. [...] my favourite city in the world on Sunday. As the countdown to Osheaga continues, I can only imagine Montreal is starting to feel the pressure. Share:FacebookTwitterStumbleUponLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

    ReplyDelete