Tabs

Sunday In Toronto

Toronto is home to many a festival in the month of June. Among others this weekend Luminato, the Much Music Video Awards & North By Northeast were in full swing & in walking distance from one another. You already know I was bound to make an appearance.




I originally wanted to go to NXNE on Saturday, even though I had a better chance of actually knowing the songs being performed during the Sunday showcase. Due to poor scheduling on my part, I missed out & wasn't among the 25000 in Yonge-Dundas Square that night. So I told myself that I had no choice but to be there on Sunday. In the midst of my disappointment from not being able to attend on Saturday, I managed to convince Illy to kill a few hours with me early in the morning. That's a pretty long story in itself but know that involves: Swings, a cat, psychics, a lame West Indian club & general fuckery.
Fast-forward to the afternoon where Tru-Def, her friend & I were standing by the red carpet of the 2012 MMVAs. Adventures with these two are usually memorable so I was more than happy to hang with them before I went my own way
, and that was before I met the guy handing out cut-outs of Justin Bieber's face. I think I saw one of the dudes from LMFAO in his SUV but I that assumption is based solely on the size of the hair I saw in the window. Eventually I left them for Luminato & wished them the best in their attempts to see famous folks & fight off tweens. Spoiler alert: They ended up seeing Katy Perry. Eye-contact was made & pictures were taken. Grr!

I walked over to Luminato to take in the Toronto Symphony Orchestra for a bit before going to Y&D Square for NXNE. If you've never been to the symphony I do recommend it. T'was a very diverse group of people & I couldn't help but feel that I'd score the lowest in an IQ test was administered.
Although, I was holding a giant picture of the Bieb's face. It got me quite a bit of attention but good God, I felt lame.
When I got to NXNE, I called up the Notorious E.F.E. because I needed to borrow a book from her. As she has a life, I had to wait around for a bit. Luckily, Killer Mike was performing across the street from where I was waiting so I was content. I know 4 songs with Killer Mike on them & all of them only feature him as a guest artist so you can imagine my delight when he went in on three of them. When the beat dropped for "Never Scared", I raced into that crowd, Beiber head & all! That song is like Kryptonite for my self-control. Side-note: He also performed "Kryptonite".
Eventually I got the book I needed to pick up, scored free Ben & Jerry's ice cream & saw local celebrities like Blake Carrington, Norm & Di. The highlight was this one guy who came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder & whispered "Where is Justin Bieber?" in some sort of accent. It was as if I were a drug dealer & he needed a fix. C'mon man! Just because I have a hugh cut-out of the guy's face, I'm expected to be a fan now. Pft! Good times were had in my favourite city in the world on Sunday. As the countdown to Osheaga continues, I can only imagine Montreal is starting to feel the pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment