Tabs

The Day I Met George R.R. Martin

The plan for today was to use my 3-hour break to pick up tickets to the Game of Thrones exhibition at the TIFF Lightbox downtown. This didn't happen. However, for what feels like the first time in a long time, yours truly had an adventure come his way.

[tweet https://twitter.com/#!/TIFF_NET/status/17922444295263027]
I left my first lecture of the day at 9am. T'was a beautiful day in the city I call home so I was in the mood to kill my 3-hour break outdoors. Days ago I had heard about this exhibit & seeing as GoT is one of my favourite shows on television, & the tickets were free, I knew I had to get some. I informed Efe about this & she wanted a ticket & I knew Tru-Def was probably going to want a chance to sit on the Iron Throne too. So, I took the chance to go for a walk to the Lightbox.

Tickets were free at the box office. All you needed was to know the date & time you wanted to attend the event. Friday night seemed to be the best time for all parties involved to I figured I try to get as many as I could. Four was the maximum; I'm sure we'd be able to find someone to come with us.  So I went to the box office & asked if I could get GoT tickets. Dude working there said sure & asked to see my student ID. I thought this was odd since the event was supposed to be open to the public. Whatever. That's when dude handed me back a ticket. I never informed him that I wanted my tickets for Friday night though. Therefore, I found myself in a dilemma. Would I really take a ticket & experience the exhibit by myself & ditch everyone else? Hell to the yes! I took my ticket & was ready! Then I looked at it & learned that it wasn't for the event I was hoping to get into. Although, for the record, you all now have proof that I'm a douche-bag who truly likes himself more than anyone else. *Waves at all my ex's*

The event I had just scored a ticket to was a lecture given by George R. R. Martin; the author of the books that inspired the GoT series. He was slated to speak to a group of film students & somehow I got into it. Plenty of self-proclaimed geeks/nerds in that room, I tell you! I thought I was the only grown person who references Dragonball Z in daily conversation. Not anymore!

As I was leaving, they were giving out tickets for the exhibition that afternoon. However, I didn't take them because I wouldn't ditch my friends like that, or I had class. Either or. All in all, it was a good morning. What did you do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment