Tabs

Life - 3 Exams - 1 Funeral = ?

Exams are hard. Funerals are harder. This is a fact of life that I've accepted since my days in high school. As much as I hate spending my time in front of text books & class notes, watching the people you care most about in life in tears is on another level. This holiday season, I've again been lucky enough to transition from one to another. FML, as the kids say. Howeve they're over & done with for now, so I'm dans le mood to smile.
I knew I needed to be out of the house at 9:45am on the day of this funeral. Thus, I woke up at 6:45am. Sure, I fell asleep again & didn't wake up until 9am, but whatever. Since the funeral was in Ajax & my Uncle intended to drive us in his Benz, yours truly needed to rush. "Luckily" I've usually got my funeral outfit ready to go. Tis the upside of owning a lot a black clothes. Word to Johnny Cash. So I skipped a shave, threw on my new scarf & was ready to head further East than I'd ever been, in the Benz.

Ajax is far but when you're not driving through snow during an early December morning in Canada, you can't complain. For the record though, an unusual amount of lisence plates from "La belle province" were on the road. Because if you're going to be surrounded by Quebecers, you want them to be doing 120 km/hr. When we made it to the funeral parlour, we scored seats & did the usual things you do while sitting at a funeral. Shoutout to this loud lady at the back would must've been oblivious to the fact that she was telling stories to the entire room. Like, we get it. You're 49 & like to use words like "presumably". Hush. There was a lady in front of me with her bangs cut in such a way that Dad kept nudging me saying "Remember that girl in Kill Bill?" I don't even think I've see that movie but who am I to cut short a Dad joke? T'was legit comedy. There was also some guy named Oscar who we didn't know but felt the need to introduce himself to us & mention that people used to call him Scott. *Shrug*

As we left to go back to the house, I caught up with some family members who claimed that they didn't recognize me. See what happens when I get a haircut & forget to shave? One Aunt kept calling me handsome & at this point, I'm not even sure if she was joking or not. Who cares though? That's more than I usually get. Compliment accepted!

At the house Mom, 2 of my cousins & I sat on the couch that was near the door. Which apparently made us the one group of people that everyone felt the need to hug as they left. Did I know many of these people? Heck to the nope. Again, who cares though? As a friend of the family said once,  during a night of alcohol fueled fun, "We is we". It's all about good vibes, right?

We left in the Benz & I slept like a baby during the ride home in the Benz. Which was a surprisingly easy task considering which uncle was in the car at the time. All I'm saying is that his views on yoga pants lead to the best laugh I've had in weeks. I guess the moral of this story is that you've got to make the best of every situation you end up in; especially when family is involved. Whether it's a sibling you fight with or something bigger, "we is we". I'll see you nuts in Scarborough for Christmas.
Side-note: I wear a medium. Bring me presents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment