Tabs

1 Love T.O.

I'd call that a successful weekend. I got to sleep & spend time with people I enjoy spending time with. I'm still not sure why everyone seems to think that I've been drunk/high since last Wednesday, but whatever. This feels like the longest I've been able to sustain a good vibe in weeks, so maybe I'm not handling it as well as I could be. Smiles are smiles though & I take them where I can get them. On Friday, I finally caught up to one that I've been chasing for a while.

If you're from my city & you love hip-hop, you know the mystique of the "1 Love T.O." shirt. It's more than a symbol of the scene; it's a symbol of the city. They aren't sold like regular shirts either. You have to know where they're going to be & then show up to buy one. For at least two years, this shirt has been escaping my grasp. However on Friday I heard that I was going to get another chance at it. I wasn't going to let it pass me by this time.

The shirt was being sold at the CBC Hip-Hop Summit from 2-6pm & my class went from 2-4pm. The catch was that I had to be on the 4:45pm train home because that was the only time I could get a ride. Plus, I had a paper due by 11pm online so the sooner I got home, the better. As I was getting ready to leave class, the prof threw a twist in my plans. "Ok guys. Before you go, I have a quiz for you to make sure you were paying attention." Now, you don't need to be a university student to know that no one was paying attention during a 2hr BLG lecture on a Friday afternoon. As we all braced for failure, & I was risking whiplash due to my excessive glances back to the clock, our prof uttered everybody's favourite phrase: "April Fools!" I respect anyone who can pull one over on me, so with a smirk on my face I sprinted out of the business building.

The event was held as CBC headquarters. This is probably a 20min walk from school. I didn't know what the line was going to be like or if the sidewalk traffic was going to be crazy because of the Blue Jays home-opener... so I literally ran for it. At one point on John St., this homeless guy waved at me & told me to be careful. When homeless people are wishing you well, you know you're in the midst of an interesting situation.

I got into the CBC & didn't know where to go at first. Then I heard a sound that can only be described as hip-hop. At that point, I just followed the beat & came across hip-hop at its finest. Artwork, dancing, celebs and randoms associating with each other. The vibe was so... right. I picked up my shirt & took in the vibe for a while before I had to start sprinting for my train. Even if I was late though, it would have been worth it. Shout-out to everyone involved in making the event what it was. It was all love. One love, in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment