Tabs

No Flow

As I previously stated, our local Hip-Hop & R&B station, Flow 93.5, had a fork stuck in it the other day. It's over & done with. The Flow that I came to know, was changed a long time ago (your hits didn't move me) but I can't help but think it necessary to send the station off with a few words.

Way back when, another radio station was reformatted & I was left looking for somewhere to leave the dial on my clock-radio. I assumed that that station was going to have to be either a rock, pop or dance station. However, I came across this one station that was playing the big tune at the moment. This was the same station that I usually found soca & reggae on. At that point, I figured that was the move to make. Flow became my station. Years later, I see myself as someone who was influenced by what he heard there.

Whether it was the island vibes or the homegrown, T-Dot hip-hop (that is finally making it's mark in the industry), I loved what I heard. It was something different from everything else on the radio... until they changed it. "The New Flow" was more pop-oriented. There was still Sundays for soca & reggae, but it wasn't the same. Today, it's as if we're back in that same situation. The on-air personalities that I've listened to for years are gone. The name remains, but it seems as if we all know that what we had in the start is no longer.

To everyone who helped made the original Flow what it was, I'd like to thank you. You helped shaped more than my play-list, but a generation of kids from the hood. This is where I learned that my city was as good as any other one. For a while, we actually had something to claim as our own. Until we get that feeling back, I salute everyone who was along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment