Tabs

Worth The Drive to Acton

I swear to you, the people in this house only need me when I have to go to the bathroom. Dear universal karma, why is that? Dad came home yesterday & said he needed me for something. Assuming it was just going to be a quick likkle ting, I came down & was willing to do whatever. Next thing I know, I've taken the seats out of the truck & were're headed to the shop. "Ok, a quick pick-up. Not an issue", I thought. We got there, he tells me to pull around back to load up & I followed suit. Side-note: There something about the smell of the factory that is like crack to me. Deokie, I know you know what I'm talking about.
We loaded up & rolled out. Dad wanted to drop off the goods at one of two spots. One was crazy far away, so he passed by a random spot he had recently heard about. El lugar al azar was no bueno though, so after driving from home to the shop to the random spot, it was off to the far one. How far? Acton, far.

Now, the only time I'd heard of Acton was in radio adds for a leather store. Other than that, I knew nothing about it. By my own observation, you have to drive passed the middle of nowhere to get there. The middle of nowhere in our case was Georgetown, which had me thinking "HA! Guyanese bonding moment!" Honestly though, we were so away from the usual that we passed the Jehovah's Witness' headquarters & World Cup flags, along with humans with melanin, were nowhere in sight! Dad was playing some Indian tunes at one point & said "We've got to be the only people in this district listening to this station." Luckily the vibe of our surroundings changed, along with the music too. You know it's a good time when Dad & I start going in on the most random songs. We managed to find the place easily enough. The last real obstacle, for him, was find a place to get out of the car where he wouldn't get a crazy amount of mud on his shoes. The same man who said "This is like Guyana" was looking kind of soft, smh. But it was all good inna de hood. Shouts to my new friend in Acton. I didn't catch his name, but he had that good-dude vibe that so many of the homies have.

The ride back was interesting too. We stopped in at a Timmie's that had a bunch of kids chilling in the parking lot, where I thought "Jeez, it's just like Richmond Hill here." As we drove though the fog, we even saw some hitchhikers that we had passed as we were driving in. I'd have asked to pick them up but "That's how horror movies happen." So with Father's Day around the corner, I'd like to shout-out my Dad. Good dude. *Salute* For the record though, this does count as your present.

No comments:

Post a Comment