Tabs

Vicky Street Blues

Contrary to the belief of numerous people, I'm fine. I don't know what's written on my face, but you can stop being concerned. Why make a blues reference in the title though? A: Today's adventure took place on Victoria Street. B: 'Liquor Store Blues' was randomly in my head. (Side-note: I literally heard Lupe just say the liquor store line in 'W.I.N.S.' as I wrote that last line. Tis meant to be) C: Apparently, Bruno Mars released a video from 'L.S.B.', so at this point we can't turn back.




Today I walked to class with a different route. I took Victoria St all the way up to school & learned a little bit. A change of scenery was needed after a winter of going up Bay & Yonge (plus I was dodging charities) so I headed East. At one point, I got held up at an intersection & decided to take in the view.  I'd probably taken Vicky St once prior & it seemed new enough to me. The most intriguing part wasn't the shops though. It was the perspective I got when I looked to my left & to my right.

To the West were Yonge & Bay. That's where fashion & big business reside in my city. It's the true "Downtown" Toronto. Condos, the Eaton Centre, Starbucks. In short, the good life.

East of Vicky St are Church & Parliament. That's the hood, right there. The farther you walk, the rougher the world seems to get. Strangely enough, that's where I used to walk to get to class years ago. The atmosphere made me feel like I was in the old neighborhood. There are no big lights or malls. It's the edge of the part of the city that you don't see in the tourism ads.

There I was, standing in the middle of where I've been & where I want to be. Kind of symbolic, no? I think it was like an odd figure in the big book of life, or at least a bloodclaat metaphor. People don't get out of the hood just so they can go back. However, when you make it to the bright lights of the big city, you should know that you're never that far from your past.

Another view is that just because it seems like you can't escape the past, you shouldn't think that the future is far away. I used to always say "When you see karma, you should run in the other direction". (That line got thrown out of the rotation kind of quickly, right?) You've got to go through rough times though. The past is what shaped you & put you on the path to where you currently stand.

What I'm trying to say, is that you might find yourself in the middle of craziness. One side of the world might seem more appealing than the other, or maybe they both look terrifying. No matter what, never be afraid to stop, take things in & learn. Smell the roses & tingz. Look at how far you've already managed to come before you think of giving up on the rest of the journey. Just don't be like me & end up late for class.

No comments:

Post a Comment