Tabs

Klosterman: 10 of 23






This is the opening line of Jay McInerney's 'Bright Lights, Big City': "You are not the kind of guy who would be in a
place like this at this time of the morning." Think about that line in
the context of the novel (assuming you've read it). Now go to your CD
collection and find Heart's 'Little Queen' album (assuming you own it).
Listen to the opening riff to 'Barracuda'. Which of these two introductions is a higher form of art?


I'd never heard of the book until this question was asked & I do have a few Heart tracks in rotation. I'll attempt to tackle this question fairly though. Art, to me, touches a person & causes them to feel something. While I think the quote is nice & that it has applied to me a few times, that riff is something special. Since I was little, I had thought that there was something there that was unique. Maybe it's my passion for music shining through here, but I'd call the riff more artistic than the quote. Sidenote: The film 'Bright Lights, Big City' starred Michael J. Fox & Kiefer Sutherland. Therefore, this is on a totally different level of art than the works in this question. Marty McFly & Jack Bauer FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment